On January 6th, 2010 Alex suffered a gunshot wound to the head...given 3 HOURS TO LIVE ....this is our story of survival and how God continues to work in and through our lives!

Friday, January 29, 2010

January 29th (11:00 pm)

Today has been a whirlwind.... first I want to thank everyone who has been praying for the 2-year old that I have been asking you all to pray for.  My heart goes out to the family and it saddens me BEYOND BELIEF to say that he passed away today.  The father told me right before I went on the air today with Gator Country 99.9 and I had a mini melt down.....  I wish ALL KIDS could be Alex and benefit the way he has.  Todays events have only made me more thankful, if that is at all possible, for the walk and journey that God has allowed Alex and I to travel.  THANK YOU SOOOO VERY MUCH GOD FOR ONE MORE DAY WITH MY HANDSOME BOY!   It makes everything we have been going thru seem so trivial....crazy as that sounds.... I wouldn't trade one minute of this roller coaster if I thought I had to go home WITHOUT Alex.  I will keep on riding as long as it takes to get back to what we call normal or rather some sort of normalcy.  To think that Alex suffered a gunshot wound to the head and was saved by God's amazing grace and that little 2-year old went home to HIM as one of Alex's angels.... seems so unfair, yet we know it's a MIRACLE!  God had a plan for Alex before he placed him in my womb and I can't wait to see what wonderful things he has in store for this little firecracker!  Watch out world.... it's coming and it's going to be HUUUUUGE, lol!

I really want to thank the Children's Miracle Network and Gator Country 99.9 as today was a very therapeutic distraction for me for most of the day.  Eden, Steve and Amadeus.... thank you for making me feel right at home with your sweet spirits.  Your compassion and understanding put me at ease today when facing one of my biggest challenges in having to tell my story.  I am soooo glad you all got to meet Alex and I can't wait for you to meet the REAL ALEX as you will so fall in love with him!   I felt like Alex and I could finally give something back today... even if it was just our story.  Thank you all for inviting us to share our story because it truly is an amazing story and if I wasn't living it.... I'm not sure I would believe it myself.  If we can get 5 people to donate on behalf of Alex and have just 1 person benefit from those donations then we have accomplished something.  Until put in this position, you don't really understand or realize just how much each and every little bit helps during someone else's time of need.  Going thru this has made me much more appreciative of the nursing profession, especially in pediatrics because I just don't know how they do what they do and detach themselves from all of the patients that come in here.  I can't express enough how awesome all of Alex's nurses are and how much we both love them, how great the Doctors are... Tepas, Garcia, Vitarbo... I LOVE YOU ALL!  Thank you for doing what you do on a daily basis ... thank you for your wonderful bedside manner... it means the world to a mother of a son with a traumatic brain injury fighting for his life!  Minute by minute, hour by hour and day by day!

Today was a great day for Alex... as I always say... any day that he is alive and breathing is a great day!  He continues to amaze me... we did subtraction and division today and he got them right!  His memory is getting stronger every day and he was actually mouthing answers to Randi..... CRAZY!!  He is moving his left hand much more today.... pointing to things that hurt, itching his nose, rubbing his eye, pulling at his catheter, blowing kisses, telling nurses thank you and probably so much more that I can't remember right now!  HE REMEMBERED HE AND BROOKS' HANDSHAKE!!!  WOWOWOWOW.... that was awesome to see!  He got Nick teary eyed today when he said " I LOVE YOU NICK"....  I love seeing him interact with different people and watching their reaction to see their emotions because SEEING A MIRACLE puts their lives in a whole new perspective!

The swelling is still going down so keep up those prayers... they are surely working.  The blood in his urine has dissipated and looks ALOT better today... almost back to normal.  Pray for comfort for Alex as his catheter is one of our biggest challenges at this moment.  And notice I said moment, lol.  The rollercoaster may change tomorrow but it's ok... we are ready for the turns and climbs.  ME, ALEX AND J.C..... WE GOT THIS!  Thinking we will be at Brooks Rehab middle to end of next week.... but I don't want to rush it.... I want him to be 100% ready to go when we leave here so that there will be no holding back when rehab begins.

Thank you to all who gave me the THUMBS UP for my interview today.... I tried not to cry too much, just speaking about Alex fills my heart with pride and it was mostly tears of happiness that I still have him here with me today. THANK YOU  THANK YOU THANK YOU GOD!

Signing off for now... sleepy , mentally drained and I need to go kiss on Alex before I fall asleep!  

Have a great weekend..... make time for family... go to a movie... play a board game...kiss and hug those babies!  Remember once it's gone ... it's lost and you cannot get it back!  Live for today always!

Don't forget MEN/BOYS if you need a haircut stop by FRAN'S BOUTIQUE & SALON on Normandy for your $10.00 haircut on Saturday from 10-3!  All proceeds GRACIOUSLY go to Alex!!  They will also be selling necklaces and bracelets with a picture of Alex on it for all you ladies out there.... you may just wanna pop in and check em out!  Mine is sacred to me as it has a picture of me AND Alex!

PEACE~LOVE~N~THUMBS UP!!



Lisa