On January 6th, 2010 Alex suffered a gunshot wound to the head...given 3 HOURS TO LIVE ....this is our story of survival and how God continues to work in and through our lives!

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Moving right along!


I haven't gotten any word on the MRI or XRAY that Alex is needing in order to complete the baclofen pump trial so I will be calling this week to see what the hold up is on getting that squared away.  Alex has improved quite a bit since my last blog..... it's kind of in comparison to seeing your baby stand up and walk for the first time!  It just happens all of a sudden out of nowhere!  I think he has gotten some major confidence in himself and has really taken off with it!  He has now accomplished being able to sit up in bed, get out and walk with his cane!  I purchased this seat/handle thing for the toilet so that he has something to hold on to when he goes to sit down and it seems to be working quite well.  However... I feel like I need to purchase a taller toilet as it is still a struggle for him to be able to sit properly on his own.  We take for granted the smallest things for granted....such as being able to lower ourselves onto a seat of any kind.  The muscle control that it takes is alot more than you think.  Because Alex is still weak on the left side, when he goes to sit down he kind of just PLOPS down without any kind of control.  So when we he goes to sit down on the toilet, it's so low that even with the handle thing that I bought it's still hard for him to sit without just plopping down.  I want to make his transition easier for him so with getting a taller toilet that may give him a little more confidence as well!  He has been using his cane and walking all over the house, lol.  He told me just yesterday that he was going into the kitchen to make a sandwich.  YEA RIGHT.... sooooo Kinlin and I watch from the bedroom peeking around the corner and we see him walk into the pantry, grab the Chips Ahoy cookies,  open grab a handful and shove into his mouth, hahahahhahaha!  WHERE'S THE SANDWICH ALEX????  "I only had one cookie!"  SERIOUSLY!  Little bugger!  So now I am going to have to hide ALL SNACKS and only place the healthy items in his reach!  He still hasn't conquered getting up from the sofa.... we are still working on that.  I think it's too cushiony  and low for him to conquer and push himself up.  God continues to bless us on a daily basis and Alex has come a TREMENDOUS long way in a year and a half.....Thank you God for all you have done and continue to do in and thru our lives!!

Alex still has quite a ways to go cognitively and the impulsiveness and no inhibition are still major factors in our everyday life and who knows if it will ever go away?.  We still have obstacles we have to face everyday but have learned how to cope and take the good with the bad.  I think we have finally settled in and learned to adapt and face our challenges head on with less stress and a smile on our faces.  Alex still has issues with being left alone for any amount of time.....hopefully one day we will get to where I can take Brooks to school without having to wake him up and putting him in the car or him being left alone for even 30 minutes while I am at the neighbors.  Do you ever really get over post traumatic stress disorder?  I guess I need to read up more on it, lol.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.... this I know.  I sit back and look at the big picture of things and see how very lucky, blessed and far we have come since January of 2010.

Alex is in his last week of day treatment...."brain therapy" as I call it.  He has been doing great going 4 days a week from 9-3 and will graduate from the program on Thursday...... all he has been talking about.  Not because he is excited to graduate but I think more so because he is tired of getting up at 7:30am lol!  LAZY ha ha!  Speaking of... its getting late and I must get him in the bed and off to sleep myself.

I will post more in the week as hopefully I should know more about his xrays.  Hoping you all have a great week....  :0)


PEACE~LOVE~N~THUMBS UP!
LISA