On January 6th, 2010 Alex suffered a gunshot wound to the head...given 3 HOURS TO LIVE ....this is our story of survival and how God continues to work in and through our lives!

Thursday, February 4, 2010

February 4th - (10:30 PM) BROOKS REHAB

WOW!  What a crazy day today!  Alex got up this morning, sat up in the chair, had a lollipop and vanilla ice cream today on our last day with our new BFF's at Shands.  Today was bittersweet as I packed up my month long stay of accumulated memories and put away in many boxes.  Alex got dressed in real  clothes today and looked just as handsome as ever!  The Florida Times Union (thank you Jim) stopped by and ran a little story on Jacksonville.com, I think it will be in the paper tomorrow also... not sure.  We were excited to venture onto our next phase of recovery however we were VERY sad to leave our friends behind.  We bonded with the nurses at Shand's and have formed very strong bonds and now have forever life long friends!!  Alex stole their hearts from the moment we arrived and I believe we made a huge impact with the nurses as well as the doctors.  Alex is simply a MIRACLE child... there is no other explanation!  God clearly wanted him to stay here with me and has great things in store for Mr. Alex!  The ambulance arrived today to transport us to Brooks Rehab and while they were getting paperwork together we were saying our goodbyes and taking pictures.  At one point Alex was telling each individual that he loved them with his sign language and then next thing you know he made the gesture saying that " I love ALL of you" and made his hand go around and around in a circle... TOO CUTE!  His Nurse Alisa made him promise to come back for visits and he stuck out his pinky for a "pinky promise"... something I do with the boys to make sure they are for real and will stick to their promise.  WOW... outta nowhere it came!  It's the little things in life that mean the most!! And to Nurse Alisa.... we take pinky promises pretty darn serious! :0)  Soooooo, we said our teary eyed goodbyes, into the ambulance we left and arrived at Brooks Rehab at Memorial Hospital.  Much bigger room, our own bathroom... but no nurses to spoil us :0(  Alex is unsure, not trusting and I feel like I am out of my element hoping to soon fit in!  I want my rock star treatment back and so does Alex, lol!

We hung out with Alex, talking, chatting... decorating our new apt here at Brooks. We were having trouble reading Alex's sign language so we broke out the pen and paper again, lol!  Well low and behold this time...HE WROTE!  He wrote:  ALEX, MOM, BOO and the number 3!!  SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!  God you are awesome, I tell you what... keeping me on my toes.... making believers that aren't!!  You just keep watching... it is going to be superman speed and I predict 4-6 weeks and we will be outta here!!  We have settled in, hoping for great things tomorrow! Please keep Alex in your prayers... long road ahead... frustration and anger to come.  He has the strength, determination and will power to get thru this quickly... I just pray that I CAN HANDLE IT, lol!  Visitation will be from 4:30 - 8:00 because we were told he won't get back from therapy until 4 and I want him to have a breather before everyone starts to come and hang out.  Tomorrow is a HUGE day.  Congratulations Alex... you are amazing kiddo and I couldn't be more honored to be your mom!  ME, YOU  AND J.C.... WE GOT THIS!