On January 6th, 2010 Alex suffered a gunshot wound to the head...given 3 HOURS TO LIVE ....this is our story of survival and how God continues to work in and through our lives!

Thursday, February 11, 2010

TODAY WAS A FABULOUS DAY!!

Soooo big day today huh?  STANDING.... heck yeah!  Great Day!  

Alex got on facebook today for recreational therapy and this time remembered the password but not how to spell his email address lol.  However... we figured it out and when we got online he saw that he had 254 new friend requests...hahhahha.  It is really crazy to him and I don't think he realizes yet just how popular he really is!

We left for Shands for our follow up appointment about 12 pm and were transferred by ambulance.  Alex  HATED the ride as it was bumpy as heck and he was NOT impressed at all.  We saw Dr. Vitarbo, the neurosurgeon and her PA Amanda and got a great report.  Amanda seemed very pleased with the way Alex's head is healing and how concaved it now is....(concaved is a good thing and exactly what we are looking for).  Alex got all stitches out except for the front part of the incision, which is about 6 inches long, of stitches that had to be left in.  This was the area of concern that I wrote about earlier in my blogs.  We go back in 2 weeks for another follow up for that.  Once his head is more concaved is when he goes back for the cranioplasty. When the fluid has settled and brain swelling gone... the head will CONCAVE drastically I am told.

 I told Dr Vitarbo that Alex's birthday is March 30th and I want him up and running by then, lol.  She is going to try to do the cranioplasty beginning of March so he can be up to par for his birthday!  YAY!  PRAY, PRAY, PRAY my little prayer warriors!  I want and hope and pray that Alex will be 90% by then... walking, talking, doing for himself....GOD... HEAR ME....I know you are listening :o)

Alex had his first shower tonight and I was sooo excited for him!  Only... he wasn't so excited with that either, poor little guy.  His head has been hurting all day so he didn't really enjoy it as much as he normally would.  He did feel clean and is now sleeping like a baby.... mission accomplished as far as I am concerned.

I am going to start scheduling visits.... I am sorry I have to do this but it is just too much on Alex and is way too stimulating to have so many people in his room at one time.  Please text me or email me thru the website email  when and if you would like to visit.  I also ask that you use the antibacterial foam or hand sanitizer when you come in because he now has a runny nose, which I think is allergies, but am not certain and I CANNOT have him get sick.  We have come way to far to set ourselves back.  Please understand that this is for ALEX'S well being and not to be taken personally.  My main focus and concern is for Alex and his healthy recovery.  He cant handle loud noises or alot of people talking at once.  He constantly has a headache and again... my main concern is for Alex to be comfortable and not irritated.  It will be 30 minute increments as that is about as much as any one person is going to get communication out of him anyways.  Maybe once he gets better and the headaches are less and less we can change that,  but for now..... this is what is best for Alex.  Thank you!

Today I am very thankful for the love and support of our friends and family as well as from our new friends we have made thru this!  First and foremost I give thanks to GOD in all his glory as my baby STOOD today on day 36 after being told he only had several hours to live and wouldn't make it thru the night!  God I ask you to bring peace and comfort to Alex as he is going thru one of those trying times tonight.  He told us he felt sad today.  Sad because he is stuck in the bed.  Lord... I told him to be thankful he is alive and that everyone around the bed is NOT SAD that he is in the bed but THANKFUL he is in that bed.  Thankful that he is alive and breathing.  I explained that I was told he wouldn't make it thru the night.... and how very very thankful I, as well as all of his friends and family, were sooo very thankful that he is with us and in that bed.  I told him to thank you God because you gave him back to me.  Please please bring peace to him and don't let the devil come in and breakdown that positive attitude and determination that he has.  Take away his sadness and give him gladness.  It breaks my heart every time he says he isn't handsome anymore because he has no hair.... or that he is sad he can't walk.  I thank you God for one more day with my handsome boy!  I know once he realizes all he has been thru and overcome .....he will understand, but until that is the case.... Lord please be with him and comfort him.  You are an amazing God and we have ALL witnessed what you are capable of... and I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THE DAY HE GETS OUT OF THAT BED BY HIMSELF!  Watch and see people... 4-6 weeks and we are walking out of here!

Leave your housework alone this weekend.... it's valentines weekend... spend time with your honey...dinner, movie... SPECIAL TIME.... put the kids to bed early... get a babysitter.... take a nap together... have a romantic candle lit dinner.... DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF!  Give the kids love on saturday and the honey love on sunday.... Your life can change in a split second... let me remind you of that daily... it has changed MY LIFE.....  FOREVER!



PEACE~LOVE~N~THUMBS UP!

Lisa