On January 6th, 2010 Alex suffered a gunshot wound to the head...given 3 HOURS TO LIVE ....this is our story of survival and how God continues to work in and through our lives!

Thursday, July 15, 2010

GREAT DAY AT THERAPY... DOUBLE THUMBS UP FROM THERAPIST!

What a whirlwind of a day!  Initially we had therapies at 11, 2 and 4 however an 11am appointment and living 45 minutes away just seemed unattainable today.  I had to cancel the first appointment and we barely made it there in time for the 2pm one, lol!  WE load everything up in the car... Alex, wheelchair, cooler with gatorade, water, backpack, leg brace, quad cane, pillows, hat, computer so he and Kristen can do schoolwork etc and are on the road at 12:50pm we are ahead of the game and will be there on time.  NOT!  We aren't on the road 10 minutes and "I HAVE TO POOP".  He and Kristen are right in the middle of a school session....OMG... what I haven't told you is that he has already had two MAJOR accidents in my car where I have actually had to get out the trashbags and spray him down out of the car, lol.... SOOOO, I don't want to take any chances with this!  I pull off at the next exit, we stop at Daily's Shell gas station... "HURRY UP"... I am freaking out, not even going to get the wheelchair out...this kids gonna half to walk in there... we pull up in the handicap spot (thank GOD we have one of those handicap parking permits)... get him out, HE WALKS THE WHOLE WAY to the bathroom God Bless his heart.... we get in, I get him in the bathroom, pants down ... we made it and it wasn't a false alarm  :0)  So here we are, taking care of business... the door opens and in walks someone and into the next stall.  BRAIN INJURY comes into play...in a VERY loud whisper.....he begins to talk to whoever is in the next stall... his new favorite thing while we are in the bathroom now.... "HEY... I'M ALEX ROSS".... me: "Alex please stop"... "I'M ALEX ROSS"... me "Alex please stop... you are sounding crazy, just hurry up we are going to be late for therapy"...  "I WAS SHOT IN THE HEAD IN JANUARY"...me: "ALEX, you are sounding like a nut case please stop ".... "I WAS SHOT, BUT I'M OK".... all the while I am struggling to get him cleaned up and out of the bathroom as soon as possible!!  We never came face to face with the unidentified bathroom friend THANK GOD lol.  I know that person had to think we were coo coo for cocoa puffs!  So I was ahead of the game UNTIL we got on the open road and then of course we had to take the scenic route and now had about 15 minutes to get to Brooks on time.  We arrived at 2:05 and I'm still  not sure how the heck we accomplished that!  I think he and Kristen got half way thru the school assignment on the way down.  WE are some multitasking fools these days, lol!

Alex has finally gotten to where he can drink thin liquids at a very small pace but nonetheless he can get them down if he drinks slow enough with small amts of liquid.  So he is drinking alot more but ALSO going to pee every 15 minutes again so I foresee going back to the urologist to check out that misfire that was going on before.  It's a bit hectic to have to take him to the bathroom every 15-30 minutes for a trickle of pee and for sure wearing me and Kristen OUT!  Dehydration is a thing of the past, praise the Lord but now peeing is our new hobby, lol!

He did great in speech today, Ms. Alison says that his voice is coming thru clearer and louder with the vitalstim method and he still continues to do his exercises every so often when away from Brooks.  Physical therapy is where he kicked butt today and got two thumbs up from his therapist Ms Ali.  She came in and said " I don't know what you said to him before you brought him here, but he is doing AWESOME!"  Music to my ears!!!  So I snuck around back while he was walking away and shot this video:  Notice how he is flowing and walking at a faster pace.  She is only walking in front of him and he is resting his hands on her arms for support!  He is getting better with straightening that knee and I am beaming proud like a peacock at how far he has come... just in the last two weeks!




Alex had an hour break between therapies today so he and Kristen buckled down in another room and worked on the assignment.  Almost done and then the connection got lost... for the 3rd time today... frustrating much lol???  Compass Odyssey is set up to where you can't fast forward thru anything so Alex had to start over on  his assignment 4 times today and go thru the entire story that he had already been thru..... before he could get to the test!!  Talk about a distraction... but he was a trooper and in the end made a 7 out of 10 and passed!  Each assignment takes about 2 hours without all this other crap going on so I am very proud of him and his participation in wanting to get these assignments completed so he can begin school with everyone else!!!

I have another funny story to share before I close... Alex was doing some cognitive testing with his therapist and he had to complete a maze WITHOUT crossing over the lines.  She made it very clear... do not cross the lines:


He was being timed and started to stress out so he decided to take a short cut ... hahahahaha... it's not funny but if you were there you would have laughed!  Alex's wit has not changed and GOD I THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME THAT!  I had to take a picture of it so I could share it with ya'll and I wish I had been videoing him.  He is surely a ham and makes us laugh on a daily basis... never a dull moment around Alex Michael Ross... that has not changed!

He has the BOTOX injections scheduled for Thursday the 22nd, Brooks' birthday, and is getting VERY VERY anxious and nervous about it.  Even making statements that he doesn't want it... doesn't need it, etc.  Please pray for his anxiety to subside... I really feel this is a step in the right direction and will try anything at this point to progress.

We go back to Dr Beck, the ENT on August 19th and pray pray pray that the growth is gone so that we do not have another surgery!  Its pretty much a make it or break it appt where if the growth is there... he has to remove it... if not, maybe juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust maybe the trach can come OUT!  Really need that trach to be out before school begins on August 23rd... one less distraction for Alex!

For those of you sending me encouraging and uplifting emails... and prayers... THANK YOU.  IT IS KEEPING ME GOING and is a huge part of our success!!  XOXOXO

PEACE~LOVE~N~THUMBS UP!

Lisa