On January 6th, 2010 Alex suffered a gunshot wound to the head...given 3 HOURS TO LIVE ....this is our story of survival and how God continues to work in and through our lives!

Thursday, October 21, 2010

TRIBUTE TO SOMER!!

 ME & ALEX WITH DIENA AND SAMUEL (SOMER'S TWIN BROTHER)

 ALEX GIVING DIENA A KISS BEFORE HE PULLS THE OLD BAIT AND SWITCH MOVE
 DIENA'S REACTION AS ALEX TOLD HER HE NEEDED A KISS FROM HER AND GOT HER ON THE LIPS! HAHAHAHA...  PRICELESS!
 ALEX AND HIS NEW BFF SAMUEL :0)
 SAMUEL TALKING TO US BEFORE WE RELEASE THE BALLOONS
 SENDING BALLOONS UP TO SOMER IN HEAVEN

 VERY EMOTIONAL NIGHT FOR ME

The picture above says it all.  My heart ached for the family.... Diena especially and this ceremony hit close to home for me.  This could very well be me mourning the loss of my son a year later....The singing of "You are my Sunshine" only brought back vivid memories of that first night as I kept singing that to Alex over and over again.... hoping he might hear me and fight death with everything he had.....apparently he heard me :0)

Even though I have not experienced the loss that Diena has, I can connect with her on a whole different level after going thru what I have the past 9.5 months.  I thought I had lost Alex the first night..... given three hours to live.....one of a mother's worst nightmares to lose a child.  It was a very emotional ceremony and I am sooooo glad that we went and were a part of it.  I am honored that we were chosen as THIER VIP Guests and were treated like Rock Star's with a security guard and front lawn seating and all, lol.  Alex did his "thang" and brought joy to a somber event as people came up and hugged him and were truly excited to meet him.  As soon as he opened his mouth and spoke... people's faces would light up like a christmas tree.....too see him in person and see the beauty of God's miracle is amazing and something for all to see and experience.  A whole different ball game to see it in person than just reading about it on here.  He passed out purple ribbons we made and told the girls he gave them to that "only the pretty girl get these", hahahahaha.  He gave Diena a kiss on her cheek and then told her he needed one on his...... she fell for it... HE GOT HER ON THE LIPS... little stinker, ha ha.  She cracked up and it was great to see her smile and laugh on a day that she much needed it. Thank you to all who made us feel so special at this event.... Diena & Kimberly... thank you for having us as your special guests. We have formed a special bond with you and you will forever be part of our family.

Alex keeps asking me about his coming home party..... and I think it would be appropriate to do it around January 6th....ONE YEAR LATER as a celebration of life, as Chad calls it.... if you will.  He should be walking much better by then.....how awesome would that be?!!!  I have some ideas.... I'm going to put together a "party committee" and we will make it a HUGE CELEBRATION OF LIFE!  Let me know if you are interested and if you have any ideas.  If you have any connections with the Equestrian Center.... please let me know as that is one of the spots I am thinking of holding it at.  Then all of you will have the chance to come up and introduce yourself as one of his prayer warriors and my angels :0)  I am still waiting for authorization from TriCare before I can travel up to GA for a second opinion regarding the removal of the trach at Emery University... hoping to go at least by the first week of November.

Below is video from yesterdays occupational therapy.  She has a glove on his hand with numbers on the board that he has to try to make his hand touch as she calls out the number.  It's a slow process with that arm but it is coming around, slowly but surely, and I still look for a full recovery.  We are looking to schedule another Botox injection treatment the beginning of next month and hopefully that will enable this arm to continue on track!




I want to give a special thanks to today to the CLOUGH family for all their efforts in putting together a fundraiser for Alex at the beginning of this month.  They put on a benefit concert and all monies collected were going straight to Alex.  Thank you to the Bands... THE PINZ... LIVICATION..... VAGRANT UNDERTOW..... JEREMY BAKER of Whaleface and SUNBURST STUDIOS!!!  YOU ROCK!!
Your donation is very very much appreciated and paid for 1/3 of his first botox treatment....SO THANK YOU!!!  The procedure is a little over $10,000 each time he gets it and our portion after insurance is about $950.00 ....THANK GOD!    We think he will probably have 4-5 of these treatments total so every little bit helps a Great Deal!    THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART ......Your thoughtfulness and generosity are greatly appreciated and Alex can't wait to meet all of you! It's nice to know we still have fans out there that are still praying for us and reading the blog!  Speaking of the blog.... I have a cute story to share with all of you that really touched my heart.  This is an email sent from one of our fans early this week and it was too cute not to share with all of you!

Hi Lisa, 
I have been reading your blog for about 8 months now (give or take a little bit) From time to time when I am reading your blog my 5 year old has been sitting with or around me so he knows who Alex is when I am reading your blog. He has asked what happened to Alex. I tried to play it down for him so he doesn't get to scared so I just tell him Alex got a really bad boo-boo on his head and when that happened his brain forgot how to tell Alex how to walk and now he is relearning how to walk again. So today as I was reading your blog and watching the videos my 5 year old (Timothy) comes around the corner and our conversation went like this....

Timothy: Mommy, Is that Alex?
Me: Yes, Baby it is. You see what he is doing?
Timothy: Yea, Is that his nurse?
Me: Yes, it is....What do you think?
Timothy: Mommy! Alex is walking by himself! He isn't in that stroller with the big wheels (Wheel chair) anymore?
Me: Nope, no wheelchair, he is walking! Isn't that Awesome?
Timothy: Yes! Mommy, Jesus is healing him!

I told him that Jesus is healing Alex and we just need to remember to continue to keep praying for Alex so he can run around and play football like he used to. 

I just thought that might brighten your day to know that even the small ones are praying for Alex and know that God is doing a mighty work in his life. 
Thanks for letting me share!

God Bless,
~Misty


THANK YOU Misty for sharing that with me..... tears streamed down my face as I read this and it brought joy to my heart.  You certainly made my day!!


I know I don't blog as much as I used to.... I feel like I might be boring you all sometimes with things going on in my life, so I try to keep the focus on Alex and how he is progressing.  It has become a little more difficult to write, Alex is very demanding of my time and I really have NO FREE TIME.... maybe I can set days like while he is doing school on tuesdays and thursdays to blog on those days..... I kinda just wing it and get on here when I can. He is actually calling me now, lol......  gotta run... I should have all of his school grades by the next time I get on.... HE IS DOING FANTABULOUS.... CAN'T WAIT TO SEE all of them and share with you!!  


Have a great day!  Remember to let your light shine.... and smile at a stranger today... it will set a trend of Pay it Forward!


PEACE~ LOVE~ N` THUMBS UP!!
Lisa