On January 6th, 2010 Alex suffered a gunshot wound to the head...given 3 HOURS TO LIVE ....this is our story of survival and how God continues to work in and through our lives!

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

HAPPY NEW YEAR....SURE HAS TO BE BETTER THAN THE LAST!!

A LOT of emotions running wild this past two weeks....even more so as we draw closer to Thursday which marks the anniversary of that fateful day!  I am having to post pone the Celebration of Life for another couple of weeks until we can pinpoint an exact location without all the permit junk from the city.  We are down to the equestrian center or Normandy Athletic Association Football fields.  As of right now... focusing on January 22nd... contingent on the Ice Man and his schedule.  Alex really is pushing for the ballpark where he grew up and played ball..... a passion of his own. I will keep you posted on my progress...it's a lot harder than I thought it would be, lol!  We will have bands, snow slide by the Ice Man, Debbie's Doghouse, Shaved Ice and anyone else that wants to jump in and provide a service is more than welcome to join in.  THE MORE THE MERRIER! We brought in the New Year, here at our very own home, playing Wii, Xbox 360 Kinetic and singing karaoke with the kids and a few friends from the neighborhood in our PJ's!! One of the best New Years Eve's I have had in all my life.  You've heard me say it all before... I look at life differently these days and don't sweat the small things.  I pick and choose my battles with Alex on a daily basis...taking it one day at a time, savoring every little moment in my family and focusing on MY FAMILY a lot more these days.  New Years Day, Chad and I got to go to the Gator Bowl with our dear friends, Viki and Tom.... beautiful day for some football and a nice change of pace for both Chad and I.  He has been busting his tail at UPS.... peak season for packages and 10-12 hour days have left him both extremely tired and grouchy lol!  Sunday Alex and I were both down with some type of flu... I had no energy, fever and it was extremely hard to take care of both he and myself.  For the most part we layed on the sofa and watched about 7-9 movies, lol.  I am still struggling recovering, still feeling like crap however.... the show must go on and I can't afford to be down.  There is only ONE ME!  Today was a crazy day.... we started out with a doctor's visit at Wolfson's this morning as a follow up to the last set of botox injections he had done back in October.  First things first.... "let's see how much you weigh Alex".....a WHOPPING 170.9!!!  Through all of this ordeal this year... he has certainly hit puberty and grown into a young man....bigger than I ever thought ha!  As the nurse got him on the mat and began to measure certain ranges and spasticity..... The result.... not a whole lot of difference than before... end result, he will have injections again in February this time only focusing on the leg.  She wants to rotate botox sessions meaning this time leg, next time just the arm.  She thinks we will see more progress when focusing on one at a time..... LET'S PRAY WE DO!  I feel like he has improved no matter what the numbers of range show.... I see improvement every time he goes to therapy!  When we went to therapy on Monday, she had him on his knees and doing donkey kicks.... not an easy task and I'm so mad I didn't video it because we surely laughed our butts off while he was doing it......hahahahahaha.  Of course it's all jokes and fun with Alex no matter where we are or what we are doing...THANK YOU GOD!  Alex met a new friend today, Alex... a girl :0)  Cute girl, 15 in a wheelchair, had been in car accident and broke her back.  Naturally he made his presence known, told his story.... got her number, lol!  HE TRIPS ME OUT!  Any who.... we left the appointment and headed home for school... yuck...yes I have enjoyed my two week vacation without having to teach, lol.  Alex has had an ingrown toe nail bugging him for weeks....he had been complaining all day how much it was hurting.... scale of 1-10 it was a 20.  It looks infected....well... I broke down and decided to take him BACK to Wolfson's as it would be much easier going to the ER than having to go on base for an appt then having to get a referral for a podiatrist... I'll just settle it all in one shot.  WRONG, LOL!  We get there, get him checked in.... the whole time he is WAY OVER STIMULATED in thinking that they are going to cut it out.  He kept telling the nurses to please put him to sleep, hahahahaha.  Chad showed up at the ER with a box full of Alex's favorite... Dunkin Donuts which put Alex at ease as he swallowed them one by one!  We cut him off at 3.... I think he would have eaten the whole box!!  Anywho.... Doc comes in and looks at the toe... yes it is infected.... "I'm not going to do anything with it, I'm going to put him on antibiotics to calm that infection down and send you to a podiatrist".....THE SCENIC ROUTE as I always seem to take, lol. Story of my life huh?!  So we leave the hospital and go to Walgreens to get the meds.... I go thru the drive-thru and Alex begins to wave at the lady behind the window!  He then proceeds to ask her if he can have a sucker.....hahahahahaha!  Alex, my 4 year old in the backseat thinks we are at the dang bank.....hahaahahahahaha!  I smile as I sit here and type this because it was really funny and I had to say to him.."Alex we aren't at the bank....they don't give out suckers at the drive thru of Walgreens silly!" 
You will all be very proud of Alex as he is on day 13 of capping his trach!!  He has been doing really really good and today will be day 14!  We have the sleep study set up for Sunday where he goes and spends the night while he is hooked up to machines where they monitor him while he sleeps with the trach capped and observe his oxygen levels to make sure he is getting enough before we take the trach out. WE ARE VERY CLOSE to getting it out with no surgery..... please keep him in your prayers that this is the last ordeal and that he is able to get the trach out once the results come back with good news from the sleep study.  I just got confirmation from the ENT that if all goes well with sleep study... he will pull the trach! YAY.... LORD GOD... I KNOW YOU DO THINGS IN YOUR OWN TIME AND I JUST PRAY THAT YOU SEE TO IT THAT THIS WILL BE THE END OF THE TRACH.  We are at your mercy and have weathered the storm, I pray that it is in your will and in your plan for this trach to finally come out and let us move forward without anymore distractions.  I will continue to focus on the positives in everything you put before us no matter the outcome.  The Devil will NOT get the best of us and we stand strong in our belief that YOU are in control.  Thank you God for your many many blessings today and everyday.  I realize on a daily basis that no matter how bad I think I have it.... someone has it a lot worse than I do.  I can do all things with and through you, Jesus Christ!  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!  AMEN!

Big news for tomorrow night..... Alex along with our dear friend Gabi.... will be featured in Tim Tebow's documentary.... TIM TEBOW - EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN.  How crazy that it is being aired on the anniversary of the shooting...... crazy weird coincidence.... or fate? It will air Thursday at 7pm on ESPN.  Alex and Gabi will be featured where Tim comes to the hospital and visits them at Brooks Inpatient Rehab.  A lot of emotions running thru me at this very moment.... VERY THANKFUL.... very blessed to have him here with me today!  How honored we are that we are going to be a part of Tim's documentary.... how very special he will always be to us for what he has done for Alex.  What an inspiration for all of us!  No matter how big or small the part we play in Tim's documentary....we are very thankful and honored to be involved.  What he did for Alex by visiting him and then having him at his pro day.... PRICELESS! I am forever indebted to Tim for the inspiration and encouragement he has given my boy!

Today Alex and I are home sick.  We can't seem to kick whatever crud it is that is going around so we will be lounging around in our PJ's watching movies.... AGAIN! 

Tomorrow will be a very emotional day for all of us because we will be celebrating the life of Alex that was spared by the grace of our most awesome GOD!  Please keep us in your prayers as it will be a day of mixed emotions... especially for me.  We have been thru a lot this past year and I'm so very thankful to have him here with us today.  Thank you God for one more YEAR with Alex Ross!  I give you all the honor, glory and praise for the miracle that you performed on my precious boy.... January 6th, 2010! 



PEACE~LOVE~N~THUMBS UP!
LISA