On January 6th, 2010 Alex suffered a gunshot wound to the head...given 3 HOURS TO LIVE ....this is our story of survival and how God continues to work in and through our lives!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010


Yesterday was a little off kilter... our day started off a little whacky as Alex woke up with the right side of his head, gushy is the best way to describe it.  Dr. Vitarbo actually came up with that description when explaining that I would know when the shunt needed to be adjusted.... his head would seem... gushy.  Gushy is an understatement... aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh freak out much!  I tried to play it off, lol... Alex ...well... anxiety set in.  Off to day therapy we go.  Alex had not so much of a good day.... 3 strikes...time out... anxiety of the mornings events played a big part of how his day went.  As you all know I have spoken many times of how one thing going different.... one thing can change a whole day of events and actions in our world!  He called me several times throughout the day.... he told some fibs at therapy... making up stories.... just off kilter day for Alex.  Picked him up, had a mini conference with Miss Katie... our saving grace... she and Miss Mona are Alex's fav's. Alex really loves these 2 precious ladies and I appreciate them, their compassion, patience and understanding with Alex.  It takes special people to do the job that they do everyday .... dealing with brain injuries... emotions, behavior and such and Alex even told Miss Mona yesterday .... "Miss Mona... I don't think I could do your job".  She said "why Alex?".... He said.." I don't know that I could take grown women/men to the bathroom and wipe them"... hahahahaha... LOVE ALEX!  Anyways.... Picked Alex up and headed to Brooks Rehab to get a prescription and visited with our nurses.  He wanted to put his brace on and walk up to them.  WOW... he is getting so much better and doesn't have to lean on me so much walking these days!  He is still off balance, has to work on putting more pressure on that left leg... but he is coming along Rapidly!  They were all so impressed and loved seeing him up and walking so GOOD!  It made him feel like a million bucks to see their faces light up with excitement and tell him how proud they were of him!  THANK YOU LADIES FOR PUTTING SOME SUNSHINE IN HIS EYES YESTERDAY!  We left there and met Viki and Carly for dinner at Chili's :0)  I was exhausted by the time we got home, I cleaned up, bathed him.... just wanted to crawl in bed and snooze....

He ended up sleeping through the NITE... OMG... I actually woke up at 5:30, freaked out... had to look at the monitor, turn it up and make sure I could hear him breathing!  Scared me, lol!  Well, he was still sleeping!  I got up an hour later... showered... went in to get him up at 7:00... groggy.. wanted to sleep.... let him sleep till 7:40 and he still didn't want to get up!  He seems groggy today... still gushy... have appt at 12:30 today with Vitarbo.. hope nothing is going on just a routine adjustment to the shunt.  Just scary... for us both as we are not used to this sorta thing.    I will post later and let you know what is the latest and greatest with our visit!

Here is another video to bring a smile to your day!