On January 6th, 2010 Alex suffered a gunshot wound to the head...given 3 HOURS TO LIVE ....this is our story of survival and how God continues to work in and through our lives!

Monday, July 12, 2010

Long day, trach not coming out :(

Hi all ~ Lisa isn't feeling so well and asked me to fill in on updating the blog tonight, hope you don't mind.

We weren't quite sure how the day was going to go, as Alex woke up this morning complaining of nausea.  Although there were a few times throughout the day where he asked for a wet towel for his head or for us to get a basket because he felt sick, overall Alex had a great day.  He started with physical therapy at 12:00, where he worked on improving how he moves his left leg.  He can walk when he has a person standing to his right side, but is working on making sure he straightens out his left leg more so that when all is said and done, he can hopefully walk without a limp.  We were told to remind him whenever we can to "straighten that leg" as he walks, so he can improve both in and outside of physical therapy.  We got some videos of him walking today, but you'll have to wait until tomorrow for those, because I don't know how to do the fancy stuff on here!

At 1:30 it was off to the ENT, where we learned what was going on with the growth they had found behind Alex's vocal chords last week.  Dr. Beck informed us that the growth is a benign polyp, and we have to wait 6 weeks to see if it goes down on its own.  If it does, great - Alex should be able to get his trach out then.  If it does not, Dr. Beck will have to go in and take a closer look at what is going on, as we do not want that polyp to eventually effect Alex's swallowing.  As much as we were disappointed to hear he has to keep the trach in another 6 weeks, we would much rather be safe than sorry! Alex seemed to be okay with this decision - he gave Dr. Beck about 4 high-5's as he was sharing the report! Lol.

After the ENT we had to head back to Brooks for more therapy. As is customary, however, Alex needed us to first bring him to the bathroom.  Lisa and I take turns with this throughout the day, but hoped having us both go in to help him this time would make things go a bit quicker - boy were we wrong! I'm not quite sure who inspected the bathroom we were in and labeled it "handicapped" - but it took us 10 minutes just to position Alex's wheelchair in a way that it would fit into the bathroom.  By the time we realized how cramped it was, the 3 of us were jammed into the little stall hysterical laughing. Realizing there was still a job to be done, Lisa and I did our best to assist Alex.  We were doing fine until another person entered the stall next to us and peaked Alex's interest.  Being not at all bashful, Alex shouts out, "Hey! How's it going over there?"  Well, this did not help our laughing fit any, and we eventually gave up the bathroom endeavor until we could try again at Brooks. It's the little moments like that throughout the day - where you find yourself in a situation that you never dreamed in a million years you'd be in, laughing with your family - that keep you moving one foot in front of the other!

Back at Brooks Alex had occupational therapy where he was re-fitted for a splint for his left hand, and ended with speech therapy, where he did a few exercises to see how he's doing cognitively.  He did a great job working through mazes on paper, and connecting shapes together with lines.  We were given some exercises that we can work on with Alex at home to help improve his voice, and I'm sure it will not be long before Alex puts them to use.  Every now and then when we are out, without being asked to, Alex starts making noises that sound like either coughing or singing - both of which are exercises he learned at speech. We were walking around Home Depot the other day and he was singing up a storm all up and down the aisles.  I'm convinced he wants his voice back just so he can be certain all of his jokes and wise cracks are heard loud and clear!

Once we got home, Alex rested for about an hour and then it was time for his school work.  I'm happy to share that he once again got 8 out of 10 questions correct on his quiz! I was nervous this time though- we didn't get to start his work until about 7:30, and I was worried he might be too drained from the long day he had - it seemed as if he initially was choosing the incorrect answers.  After I would click on the incorrect one though, he would say "wait, go back- I don't think that's right." Well, he did that about 3 or 4 times, and fortunately, each time he went back he picked the correct answer.  Thank goodness, because as he will tell you, he does not want to have to go back and do any of the lessons over!

In the last 3 days, he's already formed a strong dislike for anything we have covered.  For example, if you want to know the way to Alex's heart, do NOT buy him chrysanthemums - we read a story by that name, and at the end of it he said he never wanted to look at another chrysanthemum again!  Today's lesson was about how television advertisements try to persuade you - and he said he wants nothing to do with t.v. commercials.  I can't say I blame him - the program he's using is terrific - it's very thorough and definitely ensures that the student will learn what is necessary- but talk about beating a dead horse! One of the questions he answered the other day - I didn't even have to read him the multiple choice answers- he just shouted out "IMAGERY! The answer is imagery because they said it 42 freakin' times!"  Lol. Okay then Alex, imagery it is!

Well, that's about all I can remember from today - there were a number of other funny tidbits here and there, but Lisa's much better at remembering them than I am - I'm still just trying to take everything in!  Hopefully after a good night's rest she will be feeling better and back to sharing her sunshine.  Today was a hectic day - therapies, appointments, and school work are just the tip of the iceberg- it's putting on and taking off the brace, putting on and taking off the splint, taking out and putting away the wheelchair, going to the bathroom every 20 minutes, sometimes every 3 minutes because last time was just a "false alarm," and all of the other tiny little things that go on a hundred times throughout the day that add up.  God bless anyone who is a caretaker or who works with the disabled community - my hat's off to each and every one of you for the patience and strength you have, my sister especially! And thank you to those of you who continue to share your love, prayers, and support with my sister, nephew, and family ~ you'll not soon be forgotten. Thank you God for another day with Alex Michael, and goodnight to all!

Peace, Love, & Thumbs Up ;)