On January 6th, 2010 Alex suffered a gunshot wound to the head...given 3 HOURS TO LIVE ....this is our story of survival and how God continues to work in and through our lives!

Friday, July 23, 2010

MY HANDSOME BABY BOY, BROOKS, TURNED 14 YESTERDAY!

DEAR GOD, Today I wanted to thank you FIRST before carrying on my writings.  I am so thankful for the consistency of your love along with our many friends and family.  I am feeling so very very blessed today and very thankful for all that you have blessed me with in my life.  You are an awesome God and I pray that those that don't know you will soon find you in their hearts.  Thank you for the life of Alex Ross.  Our journey hasn't been an easy one and I know that you never give anyone more than they can handle.  You have great things in store for Alex and have touched the hearts of many with the miracle that you have created.  Please continue to let your light shine in me as I start each day with a smile and give me the strength to project a positive attitude as you have done thus far.  The storm is coming and it may get rough, but I know that with you by my side.... This too shall pass.  THANK YOU GOD FOR ONE MORE DAY WITH MY HANDSOME BOY!

Prayer warriors... I am sorry I have not been online to blog in a couple of days.... with family visiting and Brooks' birthday yesterday... time has certainly slipped away little by little.

Wednesday morning we had to be at therapy at 9am which is too early for Alex and our 40 min drive to get there.  His schedule is never the same now as it is hard to fit 3 therapies in back to back so we have to take what we can get.  We had recently changed our appt times to the afternoons which gives Alex more time to get motivated and be on track at therapies.  I find he was progressing better and getting more out of afternoon therapies.  So we started out a little rough on Wednesday with the occupational therapy and speech therapies with Alex not really wanting to cooperate.  In speech with Miss Alison whom he loves.... he was very uncooperative and steadily declined the Vitalstim electrode testing insisting that she was NOT going to shock him today!  Being the awesome person she is.... she knows how to handle Alex and gave him an option of "You ARE going to do testing today however I will let YOU tell me how long I can put the electrodes on for"... being the smartypants Alex is he says "ok, 2 minutes".  Alison says "OK, Alex... but you will give me a full 2 minutes of exercises and then we will make a deal for Friday as well".  Well, he ended up making her give him a stop watch so he could see 2 minutes and no longer, lol!  Little turkey!!!!  However... we did get him to agree to 25 minutes of therapy on Friday!  so we will see how that goes today!  Below is some of his testing he did on Wednesday:



At one point his cap popped off of his trach and we just died laughing .... it was hilarious after all we had been thru that morning with him!




From there we did occupational therapy where Alex the therapist puts on an aircast and it enables Alex to be able to move his arm up and down without being in pain as he is hypersensitive on the left side.







Even though he was uncooperative with the speech therapist he was really really trying hard in occupational therapy to move that left arm.  He still really doesn't have any feeling in the left arm and is still very weak on the whole left side of his body.  You can see how hard he is trying with his hand shaking.... I was sooo proud of him and how he kept on going for the whole hour without giving up!

Yesterday was Brooks' 14th birthday and we took him to Dave N Busters.... what a great time we had!  Below is Alex playing a driving racing game against Brooks and he did pretty good actually!!!



Alex has been doing great with his schooling and yesterday made a 9 out of 10!  He is really on track and actually gets mad at Kristen if she is 1 minute past the time that they agree to start an assignment!  I meet with the schoolboard on the 28th to see if he will be able to reenter the school system or if he will need to be home schooled.  Next week will be a busy week with pre-anesthesia appt for the Botox on the 30th, school board meeting, the Bridges run on the 31st (LORD HELP ME, LOL).... I will try to keep up with my blogging and keep you all informed as to what transpires.  Tomorrow we are taking the family to St. Augustine as Pop Pop and Gma have never been to the oldest city so we are making a day of it!  I may not get back on here till Monday, until then I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and if I get a minute I will post of our adventures this weekend and his therapy today!

PEACE~LOVE~N~THUMBS UP!

Lisa
xoxo