On January 6th, 2010 Alex suffered a gunshot wound to the head...given 3 HOURS TO LIVE ....this is our story of survival and how God continues to work in and through our lives!

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Funny how it's been almost a year..... we have come so far but yet we still have so far to go.  I never thought this would be my life and there isn't a day that goes by that I wish I could go back to January 5th and have my same Alley Pooh back.  I have had to overcome many obstacles emotionally and physically.... Alex has grown up through all of this, hit puberty right in the middle of it all and went from a boy to a man overnight it seems.  I look back at the many many pics from the beginning and he was such a baby compared to now.  I feel like I've missed a vital part of his life.... THE CHANGE.... this is certainly not how I envisioned it!  Funny I used to always tease him and ask him when was his voice going to change? lol!  Now we are just hoping that he continues to have a voice if he needs another surgery. Speaking of..... I told you all how it's basically up to alex and keeping his trach capped for two weeks that he could get the trach out.  Well.... so far he has only done 1 hour,  lol.  We are going to try for 3 hours today so please continue to lift him up in prayer to give him the courage and the strength to complete this task and save him from another surgery.  I have him on the schedule for operation on January 25th.... soooooo he has lots of time to prove that he can do it by himself.   I am hoping and praying that we don't have to go the surgery route, however I will do whatever is necessary to get that dang thing out!  LET'S JUST PRAY!

In this first video Alex had to walk sideways and punch the ball..... not an easy task by any means.... something that we all take for granted that we can do without falter.  He worked hard at therapy yesterday and I couldn't be prouder!


In this second video Alex had to focus on leaning on and using his left side to bear the weight while roping the pegs.  You can see how hard he is working by the shaking of his left leg.  This wasn't his favorite exercise lol.... he had to work hard!  It will pay off in the end!


My little joker!  Always makes me laugh even when I am mad, lol!  He worked really hard yesterday at occupational therapy picking up and releasing rings with his left hand.  You can tell how hard he is working by the shaking of his left hand.  I was AMAZED when I saw him actually close his fingers to grasp the ring.... MAJOR PROGRESS!  THANK YOU GOD!






I am still working on having his "CELEBRATION OF LIFE" event and would like to have it on Saturday January 8th ... the problem we are running into is finding a stage for the bands to play on and getting permits from the city to hold the event.  TOO MUCH STUFF to have to take care of on top of my everyday life!  AAAAAAAAAHHHH... why can't it just be something simple to be able to get this party off the ground!  If anyone has any ideas please let me know! 

I have my NJ/NY visit blog completed just have to add pics to it... another small task you think, yet very time consuming for me lol, especially with Alex calling me every 5 minutes for something.

Below are a few pics of Alex eating his chicken and waffles at Gladys Knights Chicken and Waffles restaurant in Atlanta, GA.... he is a HOT MESS!








Gotta run... Alex calls....



PEACE~LOVE~N~THUMBS UP! LISA