On January 6th, 2010 Alex suffered a gunshot wound to the head...given 3 HOURS TO LIVE ....this is our story of survival and how God continues to work in and through our lives!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

MOVING RIGHT ALONG

Hi Friends.... sorry I haven't updated in awhile.... we have been busy bee's with trying to get caught up on school work as compass odyssey was down for like 4 days and it has been a challenge trying to get Alex to want sit and do school work.  I think it took him a week to complete his Algebra pre test because after 15 minutes of problems he was ready to stop lol.  On his report card he got all A's and two B's so he is still doing great.... it;s just a challenge to keep him focused..... all the more reason I did NOT put him back in school in a classroom setting.  Wise choice on my part.

Alexander has not surfaced since that crazy Tuesday and I'm starting to realize that I think it had everything to do with the changes involved in his daily routine that day.  Not to mention he woke up to start his day from a nightmare and it just spiraled downward from there.  Things have been going smoothly.... KNOCK ON WOOD.... for the most part and he was a trooper at therapy yesterday doing everything they asked without complaining and pushing through the pain of it all.  Normally he tries to bargain with them but yesterday before the sessions they gave him his schedule for the session with like 10-15 minute exercises and changed it up to where he didn't feel like he was doing ONE thing for the whole 45 min which i think might overwhelm him at times.  HE IS GREAT WITH SCHEDULES AND STRUCTURE... however...if you divert from the original plan.... it sends him over the edge.  I had a chat with one of the psychologist at Brooks and asked this question in particular.  I noticed that when Chad comes in from a run, in his running clothes, hot and sweaty with earphones in his ears....you and I would clearly know that Chad just came in from running....however, Alex will look at him and say.. "Chad where did you just come from or where have you been?"... Chad being the smarty pants that he is said "I was doing my taxes outside".  Alex looks at him and says "Why were you doing your taxes outside?".  He doesn't make the connection based on his appearance, he takes him literally.  This is one of the issues that everything is either black or white... there is no gray area.    I'm not sure if this will heal over time or something he will have to face for the rest of his life.  I was told he only has about 25% control over what he says and does and thinks.  I pray that over time that brain heals and learns to reconnect those parts that were so severely damaged so that he can lead a somewhat independent normal life.  He looks so good and is doing so great physically moving right along.... pushing forward as always that it's been hard for me to digest that the inside still has a VERY LONG road ahead.  To meet Alex or spend 5 minutes with him, you would never know there are sooooo many issues that we face on a daily basis.....but to spend 24 hours with him is a whole new eye opening experience.  I had a mini melt down last night... missing my Alex again... wanting our old life back....I think alot of it stems from Brooks starting baseball and knowing that Alex would be playing this year.... His senior year......possibly getting a scholarship for college.... HIS DREAM as well as mine.  It breaks my heart and tears strolling down my face as I write this.... a very hard pill to swallow.  I'm going to close for now.....try to regroup before the master awakes and we have to do school.  Focus on the positives.....it gets me thru my darkest of days.  LIFE GOES ON and IT IS WHAT IT IS!  "When life give you lemons, make lemonade right?"  Thank you God for another day with my handsome boy and for the many blessings you continue to throw our way and for continuing to let your light shine through me.  You are my rock and I am a better person because of you!  I give you all the Glory, Honor and Praise.  AMEN.

PEACE~LOVE~N~THUMBS UP!
LISA